Barry Ewart recently wrote on Leeds Wellbeing Web about Leeds Men’s Health Network. He sent us a follow up about the 16 days of action around the “White Ribbon” campaigh which highlights issues around domestic abuse. Barry writes:
“LMHN CALLS FOR ZERO TOLERANCE OF ALL DOMESTIC VIOLENCE.”
Leeds Men’s Health Network (LMHN) is supporting this year’s White Ribbon Campaign and its 16 days of action around 25/11/13. The White Ribbon Campaign (WRC) aims to get men to address issues of domestic violence against women. See www.whiteribboncampaign.co.uk
- In Leeds we will have a WRC city-centre walk on Monday the 25th of November which will leave the WRC Tree in Park Square at 11.00 am and will finish at Leeds Metropolitan University, City Campus, Leeds LS2 at 11.45 am and we have invited Chris Chittell from Emmerdale Farm to join us on the walk. At 12.00 in Room PD210 (for those who wish to stay) there will be a talk hosted by The National Centre for Men’s Health on, ‘Men in Sheds – valuing the human potential of older men’ by Will Gore from The Groundwork Trust.
- LMHN is also encouraging children’s centres, schools, libraries and voluntary groups in the city to do something for the action days and this could be simply wrapping a tree with white ribbons.
- LMHN recognises that most domestic violence is by men against women and needs addressing.
- LMHN also recognises that domestic violence against men is a problem that needs addressing.
- LMHN further recognises that domestic violence is also an issue in same sex partnerships and this too also needs addressing.
- LMHN believes that we should have a zero tolerance of all forms of domestic abuse whoever is the perpetrator.
Since domestic violence homicide reviews were introduced two years ago they have shown that eleven women were killed in Leeds alone.
- Female victims – Leeds Domestic Violence Helpline 0113 246 0401
- Same Sex Partnerships – Broken Rainbow 0300 999 5428
- Male victims – Men’s Advice Line www.menshealthadviceline.org.uk/ 0808 801 0327
- Respect Helpline for Perpetrators 0808 802 4040
Leeds Men’s Health Network Contacts:
Chair: Claude Hendrickson E Mail: email@example.com Tel. 07831 480 196 (Mobile) 0113 262 2270 (Office)
Secretary: Barry Ewart E Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel. 0113 343 4358 (Office)
Treasurer: Richard Lancaster E Mail: email@example.com Tel. 07931 659 434 (Mobile) 0113 276 2720 (Office)
On Wednesday 4th December from 11am – 1pm, Leeds Together Women Project will be dressing up Park Square in White Ribbons and distributing white ribbons around Leeds to mark the 16 Days of Action campaign to end violence against women.
If you would like a ribbon or would like some ribbons to distribute as part of your action, please come down to Park Square on Wednesday and get involved!